request for prayer for peace in North Caucasus

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at pochtamt.ru
Tue Oct 5 03:22:41 PDT 2004

Dear friends,

I am sending this at the initiative of my colleague Natasha Nelidova, who runs an NGO for refugees, Warm Home. It assists refugees in psychosocial rehabilitation (primarily from Chechnya). While she is deeply of the Christian faith - which is reflected in this message- it is intended for everyone.

Thank you,
Raffi Aftandelian

We are writing you in connection with the tragic events in Beslan. Together with everyone else we are in mourning and are trying to help in the ways we can those who have suffered in Beslan. Specifically, we are trying to help those who are in hospital with serious injuries here in Moscow. And we are trying to help those who have stayed in Beslan and need professional psychological support. It is tragic that terrorist acts are becoming more and more brutal and more and more innocent people die from them.

We think and you understand, we imagine, that the main reason for this terrorist act was the ongoing war in Chechnya. This war makes people feel more futile, become more brutal, and gives rise to crime and banditism. We are looking for new possibilities and are seeking deeper ways of affecting this situation. Today, we decided to approach all Christians, Muslims and people of other faiths to request that people pray for peace and the reconciliation of people of the North Caucasus.

This is all the more urgent because in North Ossetia and Ingushetia a new tragedy is possible: the relatives of those who died in this tragedy intend to seek revenge. October 13th is the last day of mourning for the victims...

And this can lead to more innocent loss of life. And again we'll have victims killing victims. And evil will again be victorious.

We think that among you are active, practicing Christians. We ask that you pass this request for prayer to other people. Can you put us in touch with Franciscans? It was their ministry that was especially focused on peacemaking.

Let us not forget that October 13th is the last Epiphany of the Madonna of Fatima (Portugal). And we can ask her for her special intercession.

We would be very thankful for your response and support.

Heartfully and sincerely,

Natasha Nelidova, Inna Airapetyan, Marina Golovkova, Raffi Aftandelian, and all of Warm Home