Givens -- Again : law and butterflies

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Fri Nov 26 18:22:18 PST 2004

Since I have made a break a "formal" part of the os-events I
facilitate (if the sponsor opens the space at 9 am the gathering
begins at 8:30 with a break and the buffet with coffee and juices and
fruit all set up at 8:30) people are very much present when they sit
in the circle at 9:00.
It appears to me that the space has neither to be opened, nor
released, nor spoken to ... its there regardless of what anyone might
say. So I dont say anything about the space but get on with inviting
the participants to have a good look at all the people that are
there, state the theme, demonstrate how an issue gets on the bulletin
board, introduce the principles and the law and invite them to write
down their issues and post them while I leave the circle at that
point and enter again only at the point where I say a couple of
things about the market place and when we gather again for evening
news.
This seems to work well.
I have seen and heard many other ways of it being done and they work,
too.
One point that does appear to make a difference is the way the group
is invited to take in who all is there, also called "focusing the
group" (where I add "on itself")...complete presence is a real help
and that is not easy to be into right at the beginning and that I
think might be one of the reasons why some facilitators do stuff like
meditating several hours before the facilitation thing or touching
every chair once more assited by a mantra such as "welcome"...there
once was a long list of the many different things people do just
before the introduction on this list.
Greetings from sleepless berlin
mmp

--Original Message Text---