Givens -- Again : some comments

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 10:51:02 PST 2004

Thanks, for speaking up, Chris.

--- chris weaver <chris at springbranch.net> wrote:
> So, Artur, Harrison, et al:  Does this hurt the
> event?  Does this disrespect
> the people?

No, I don't think it does and (if I understood well)
it is even an interesting way to make some previous
undiscussable ideas of the sponsor discussable.

But, as you recall, my main point about "givens" has
always been the word itself. Who "gives" the "givens"?
It must be some sort of unquestionable authority.
Unless they would not be called "givens"...

So, when you ask the sponsor "are there any givens?"
aren't you acccepting the command and control way?
Could't that be rephrased as, for instance, "are there
any ideas or conclusions that you consider
undiscussable in this meeting?" (and then proceed in
the same direction you explained).

Artur

http://mail.yahoo.com