A Note to The Old Curmudgeon from Phil ;-)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 04:28:13 PST 2004

Phil wrote: "There are three aspects of OS that I am curious about these
days. The first is how to open the curiosity of attendees and engage them
more fully, more quickly. So the idea of the Information Wall, artistically
covered in recent, relevant papers, articles, photos, books, etc. related to
the topic of discussion, and in an atmosphere well lit, with plants,
brightly colored objects, etc., could perhaps tend to state to the
participant "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto."

Artifacts of all sorts can be a great plus -- provided the enterprise does
not get out of hand. After all it is an Open space and not an Art Show. One
of my favorite times was working with PBS (US Public Television) at a point
when they were launching a new communications satellite and had real issues
about how the enhanced capacity would be used. They were going from 4
channels(feeds) to 34, which meant a massive revolution in jobs, procedure,
etc. Anyhow there were 350 corporate PBSers in a circle, facing each other
and a life-size version of Cookie Monster (a Sesame Street Character)which
sat in the center of the circle. High on The Wall was an enormous full color
photo of the Satellite. Theme for the day: "From Cookie Monster to the stars
-- How do we get there?"

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: