MG Taylor and DesignShop Events - a step on the OS continuum or something completely different?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 12:53:07 PST 2004

I have never actually gone through a session, but I knew them (Matt et al)
reasonably well some long time ago(20 years maybe). So my information and
impressions could well be totally out of date. At the time I didn't see
anything that was going on that a comparable group in Open space couldn't do
just as well at significantly less cost. It ain't cheap -- but then again in
the corporate market if you don't charge an outrageous price some presume
you are getting nothing. The knowledge workers (then and presumably now)
were there to do just what you say -- but in any technically oriented Open
space where folks had the need of particular information I have never seen
any hesitance on the part of participants to pick up the phone, hit a handy
database, or send an email. From where I sit, that is all part of the taking
responsibility business. So yes it looks gorgeous and I am sure colors etc
stimulate creative thinking -- but I have also seen some OS's that were past
wild in that department. Bottom line? I have no question that some good
things happen in a DesignShop but I just found a surfeit of extras that
didn't seem to add much. More to the point I think they may well have
detracted from what I take to be the core gift received by the individual in
Open Space -- a sense of my personal power and responsibility. In terms of
the immediate product, I am sure they deliver quite well, but I doubt
anybody would ever think about working towards a "Designshop Organization".
By the same token, I am not sure that many would find the DesignShop
Principles being useful in every day living, as some of our more
enthusiastic Spac-niks (myself included) seem to.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: