MG Taylor and DesignShop Events - a step on the OS continuum or something completely different?

Phil Culhane pculhane at magma.ca
Mon Nov 15 12:06:59 PST 2004

Hi Harrison, and thank you for the note.

Have you been through a session or more with Mat and Gale? I'm curious about the
environment and the role of the knowledge workers. A bright, colourful environment filled
with colourful toys and relevant literature, walls covered with recent useful
information, "radiant walls" that are like reverse-post-it notes (already lightly sticky
so the paper doesn't have to be) seem as though they would enhance the OS experience.
Now, whether they would add 5% to the experience or 50%, less or more, would be an
interesting question, but additional useful information available would seem to open
space?

Additionally, if the knowledge workers were there primarily as information sources
(someone to look up the necessary bylaw to ascertain whether a project can go ahead on
designated wetlands, for instance), it would seem that they would enable more people to
be virtually in the room - obviously not the people who had the passion to be there, but
perhaps subject matter experts who can provide critical information to direct the flow of
action planning. If the KreW (as they call them) were intermediaries, facilitators of
knowledge flow into the room and questions out of the room, it would seem that that would
further "open" the space.

Perhaps there are some really good ideas in DesignShops, and MG & Co. just went down the
wrong alley? Is there nothing there worth saving? No way that OS can be informed by DS
events?

Glad to know you've looked into them - hopefully you've been to one or several and know
the benefits/fatal flaws. I'd be very curious to hear more.

Kind regards,
Phil

On Nov 15, Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

> Been there -- done that. Unless Mat and Gale have re-designed the Design
> Process, it is about as open as a clam. Great folks, interesting ideas, but
> emergent organization it ain't. Also used to be real hi-techie with all
> sorts of bells and whistles run from a "Control Room". Get the picture?
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen
> 7808 River Falls Drive
> Potomac, Maryland   20845
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> Personal website <a
href='http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm'>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen
/index.htm</a>
> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit:
> <a
href='http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html'>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/
archives/oslist.html</a>