Global Open Space project

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 12:10:41 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/12/04 4:14:13 PM, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk writes:

> This isn’t to say we want any less open space percolated around the world
> but the name global open space being launched out of America (if that’s what
> this message says) may be the wrong name at the wrong time unless the people I
> have been talking with are a very confused international sample

Chris--

I find your comments very interesting, because they parallel conversations
that were held at an Open Space on Open Space conference in California a few
years ago.   We wanted to make OST more accessible to people anywhere in the
world who wanted to use it.   Our conclusions were:

1)   We did not want to use the world global, and did not want this to be an
American project.

2)   Instead of always meeting on the N. American continent, we would begin
moving the annual worldwide Open Space on Open Space conference to many areas
of the world, always hosted by local OST practitioners.   This would facilitate
increased participation of people in each region.

3)   We would raise funds to support participation in conferences and
training events by people from many countries, especially those who had insufficient
resources to travel.

4)   A number of people offered to provide facilitation training and support,
if desired by local practitioners, in many parts of the world.

About red and blue states, the map that you see is exaggerated by the way the
electoral system of the US works.   An individual's vote for president of the
US is really a vote for an elector of the candidate's party for that state.
So, even if a presidential candidate has a small majority in a state, he will
receive ALL of that state's electoral votes.   So, the country is not as
polarised as it looks on the "red and blue" maps.

However, many of the values I wish to support appear to be in the minority
just now, and it does not make me happy.   It does make me want to stay in
contact with other people around the world, and to have opportunities to work with
other Americans who share my beliefs--which this conference might facilitate.

I don't know all the convenors, but the ones I do know I respect highly.
Peter Block has worked with organizations, and taught consulting skills, for
several decades, and is widely respected for his integrity.   Some are not native
Americans--Dinesh is Indian, working in the US.   Michael Lindfield came to
the US from Britain.   He was at the first Open Space conference I ever
attended, with Harrison in Sonoma county, and Dinesh has been a part of the Open
Space community for a long time as well.   These are not people I would suspect of
having a hidden agenda to impose American values on other cultures.

I don't know what is planned for this conference, but you could easily get
more information by participating online in the conversations.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle