OSLIST Digest - 4 Nov 2004 to 5 Nov 2004 (#2004-295)

Alan Klein alan at klein.net
Mon Nov 8 06:12:20 PST 2004

The British open school teachers used to call this "mucking about". It is a
stage of exploration when new materials are introduced to kids in the
classroom and they try out different things without direction or expected
results.

My daughter's modern dances are choreographed in much the same way. The
choreographer suggests a theme or teaches a basic pattern of movement or
introduces a new piece of equipment and the dancers "muck about" with it
until they have worked out the possibilities.

BTW, I liked Chris's book and knew Mary Leue, who was the founding director
for many many years of The Albany Free School, where Chris works.

~Alan Klein