planned happenstance

David William McKay dwmckay at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 30 03:45:53 PST 2004

Automatic digest processor wrote:

>Date:    Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:09:06 -0500
>From:    Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net>
>Subject: "Planned happenstance. . ."
>

>Isn't it interesting how everything has to be fitted into "the plan," =
>even
>if planning had nothing to do with whatever is going on? Or maybe more
>accurately, "planning" as the intentional human act, was only one of a
>myriad of factors creating the present moment. For me Open Space is not =
>too
>far from stopping to smell the roses, allowing the present moment to =
>appear
>as it is, no longer covered by all the might-have-beens, =
>could-have-beens,
>or should-have-beens -- plans. Many take open space, and the experience =
>of
>open Space, as a strange new reality. I guess my experience is =
>diametrically
>the opposite. Everything is Open Space, but that fact is obscured by a =
>whole
>mess of exogenous lay-ons. All the plans.=20
>
>Harrison
>

>Harrison Owen
>7808 River Falls Drive
>Potomac, Maryland   20845
>Phone 301-365-2093
>
>Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com =
><http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

I used to be a credit counsellor. I taught personal budgeting to folks
going through bankruptcy. So maybe my take of planning is a bit different.

Generally, for business people, their planning told them bankruptcy was
the best fit for them based on critical analysis of their situation. For
ordinary working stiffs, lack of planning contributed at least in part
to their crisis, So planning has its uses so long a sit doesn't become a
god.

I used to tell clients, "plan to be spontaneous". Planning isn't about
cutting out all the good stuff. Make space in your budget for a pizza or
a night out or whatever that might be for you. Because if you don't your
heart will ache for it and then you go psycho-chicken and use the rent
money to buy a big screen TV.

david mckay