FW: that word again... and LO's

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 07:24:10 PST 2004

--- Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks Jack for new learning. I didn't know that you
> could get Google to do
> definitions.

Seredentipious learning, wasn't it?

> Faculty of making discoveries by accident.
> Serendipity has been recently
> used in connection with Internet, since the large
> quantity of information
> available provides chances to find unexpected
> relevant information while
> surfing the web.

The Internet has maybe accelerated semething that was
already there. How many times one has discovered
something by reading or seeing something completelly
different from our normal interests, that suddently
gave us a clue for a problem different from the one we
were thinking about (or for one we were not
considering at all)? Hence:

--- Eva P Svensson <eva at epshumaninvest.se> wrote:

> This list is really what I use to tell people - this
> is a living example of a learning organization that
> so many management gurus have written about and so
> many companies has tried to create. And I have not
> yet seen one truly learning organization in real
> life in an organisation but for me this is one good
> example. Even though friends of order would say,
> -"is this list an organization?" - well maybe not by
> definition but it sure has the "good" qualities of a
> such I think. Openness, willing to learn and share,
> and a treasure of knowledge.. And lots of more...

If we consider, as I do, that a LO is NOT one that
respects some 5 disciplines (Senge), but one (company)
that proves that it is able to learn as it survives
for centuries (de Geus), then openness (to learn
permanently), free sharing of opinions, etc are
necessary preconditions for LO's.

But I also believe that this is so, because those
conditions open the way for learning that occurs by
serendipity. After all, single-loop-learning is not
and double-loop-learning is normally learning that
occurs "out of the box", and seredenpity is, by
definition, one way to look out of the box(es).

And, yes, OST is a good tool for sustaining an LO and
the same is true about this list - even if a list is
not an organization which is not very important for
this point.

Regards from rainy Lisbon

Artur

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail