FW: that word again...

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sat Nov 27 04:24:58 PST 2004

Thanks Jack for new learning. I didn't know that you could get Google to do
definitions. Its wonderful -- and the whole list (while not a good as the
one you picked out is quite interesting.

Faculty of making discoveries by accident. Serendipity has been recently
used in connection with Internet, since the large quantity of information
available provides chances to find unexpected relevant information while
surfing the web. In Science one speaks about serendipity when the discovery
is made by reasons alien to the established research experiments. For
example the discovery of penicillin. The coinage of the term is attributed
to the British writer Horace Walpole from a Persian tale "The Three Princes
of Serendip" where the heroes make discoveries accidentally.
www.infovis.net/Library/Glossary.htm

''The gift of making delightful discoveries by pure accident''. In hypertext
navigation, the original goal sometimes becomes irrelevant or is forgotten
over the current dominance of a new piece of information encountered in the
browsing process. This is called the serendipity effect.
sammelpunkt.philo.at:8080/archive/00000023/01/HTML_Version/text/node83.html

\sehr-uhn-DIP-uh-tee\, noun: The faculty or phenomenon of making fortunate
accidental discoveries.
www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/archive/2001/10/18.html

Making a commitment, taking action, and expecting the unexpected that your
soul and universe create with you.
www.geocities.com/astrologyforus/KarGlossary.html

the faculty for making desirable discoveries by accident
www.swcollege.com/management/longenecker/definition.html

The ability to gain knowledge from accidental events. Many famous new
products have been discovered accidentally, but many potential discoveries
were overlooked because the observer was not serendipitous (having a
prepared mind).
www.faculty.catawba.edu/jbgreen/DrGreen/glossary.htm

good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: