Re: Givens   --  Again  : some comments

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 10:28:11 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/19/04 3:24:47 PM, hhowen at comcast.net writes:

> Bob wrote: "Sometimes I'd rather be free to explore within a known boundary
> than not know when I was going to drop off the edge of the
> world."
>
> I guess I could say something like . . . only a flatlander worries about
> falling of the edge of the world. Other folks go 'round and 'round searching
> for new possibilities -- even if the official wisdom says there aren't any.
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen

Brief comment:   Chaos Theory, et. al. deals with 'bounded instability'.
There is a container, an edge. OS is certainly Chaos Theory in action, imho,
where something will emerge but you don't know what or where, just that form will
emerge from the primordial soup.   A person I met once, name long gone from
my memory, unfortunately, once said there are only two rules needed to build an
ant hill.

1.   When an ant carrying a stick comes to another stick, it puts its stick
down.
2.   When an ant not carrying a stick comes to a stick, it picks the stick up
(and carries it until rule 1 occurs).

That will build an ant hill within the space of the travel abilities of the
ants (the container) but you cannot say where it will emerge, but emerge it
will.

IMHO, just so with OS, the minimum needed conditions having been set (by the
structure Harrison developed), potentially useful form will emerge.

Paul Everett
jpeseeker at aol.com