more givens again

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 12:58:06 PST 2004

Harrison & co.

I promised myself not to get snookered into this "givens" vortex
again, but, alas, my willpower is weak.

Taking Esther's point that it is easier to put everything on the
table when dealing with community issues, we still cannot deny the
spirit of Open Space, which, let's face it, fundamentally involves
self determination and participatory democracy.

If a sponsor ring fences an issue and eliminates discussion, it
excludes people from considering what might be a very important
burning issue.  Stifling discussion is not the way to build
understanding and acceptance let alone ownership.

When given a rare chance to discuss important issues, our experience
is that participants respect the opportunity and contribute
positively to improve things, because, after all, they are
stakeholders or they wouldn't be there.  Let's not forget that the
sponsor sets the theme and invites the audience to discuss it, but
that's all they are suppose to do.

If a sponsor has a lot of givens, we question how open they are about
the exercise and whether or not we want to work with them.  So, our
approach is simple: we never discuss givens and they hardly ever
arise.  If a sponsor has a problem, we discuss it with the planning
team.  Our response, invariably is, if you want creativity and
commitment, "trust the process" and "trust your people."  These
should be the only real givens in large group processes.

Regards

Kerry
Open Futures
Edinburgh