Re: Givens   -- Again

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 11:17:35 PST 2004

Harrison, Esther--

For me, the two questions that need to be considered by the leaders of the
organization, pre-OS, are 1) what do they plan to do with the recommendations
from the OS, and 2) if there are conversations that need to continue on certain
topics, will teams have on-the-job time to meet.   This begins the process of
thinking about how life may be different post-OS.   Sometimes I suggest that
the leadership team identify their unspoken assumptions and challenge them.

I can only think of two situations where it seemed that "givens" were needed.
  In one case, there was a strong possibility that a number of participants
would lose their jobs or be transferred to another region--this was not
addressed by the director at the beginning of the meeting, and fear and uncertainty
put quite a damper on the proceedings.   Which, by the way, the participants
worked out for themselves.

In another case, a new facility was being built, and the director thought we
needed two cautions:   No redesign of the structure would be done at this
point; the task force, architect, contractor and suppliers had all signed off on a
design.   (And there was no need for further discussion on building design--a
task force of staff, clients and community had provided input and decisions
for two years, and the final choice of design was made at the recommendation of
a 12-year old Girl Scout who'd been part of the team the whole time).   The
second "given," and one which probably needed to be spoken aloud, was that no
one would lose her job when the staff from two offices came together in the new
facility, although there might be some adjustments in job descriptions.

Harrison, I think the reason that the question of "givens" keeps coming back
is that many of us (and I would put myself at the top of the list) keep hoping
that there might be some small aspects of life over which we can still
exercise control.   For me, it's an ongoing challenge to watch those things creep
in, and decide consciously that I could let that one go.

My two cents' worth

Joelle