SV: Non-convergence, action planning and strategy AND Follow-up practices

Eva P Svensson eva at epshumaninvest.se
Thu Nov 11 12:05:37 PST 2004

Chris wrote:
My question is, what follow-up practices have you used to help leaders support the emergent leadership and energy and spirit that comes from
OST, while remaining good stewards of their organization's resources and vision?  I'm obviously looking for approaches that are open, and
that continue to work with the dynamics of OST.

Well here is a way that I have found working:
After an OST with action planning, groups forms to continue to work on the tasks. After due time ( in one case after 3 months, in another after 3 weeks) we had a day which I call a "Dialogday", (or half of a day)  it is a way to involve the rest of the organization/department or whatever. The design is more or less like this:
The action groups present - in not more then 5 minutes - the topic and HOW they have worked since the OST meeting. They have also been asked to lift forward 3 - 4 questions or areas that they want to discuss and get feedback from their co-workers and the also presents these areas. After the presentations the working groups goes to different rooms and then the participants move around in a kind of self-organizing way. We have about 30 - 45 minutes per group and then they shift and goes to another. (This is difficult to explain in English I do hope that you can follow..) So the working groups stay put in the same room talking about their issue several times as new groups arrive, and the rest of the people move around. And by this everyone have a chance to get familiar with and give his or her input on the work that has been going on so far. The purpose of this dialog day is as the name says to keep the dialog going and to involve as much and to get as much input as possible. The participants take responsible for attending all groups after their own choice. In the end we gather together again and each of the working group says a few word of the input or most discussed questions.
After this day the groups usually continues to work. And then it depends on the task if there is a continuation or not. In one case we stopped there and the groups implemented the work in daily life. In another case we had a follow up meeting with the "project leaders" and then we had one new day with all people again. This time it was more of a "kick off" when the work was finished from the working groups and was presented to the rest of the people. In this case it was about values and in the "kick off" we had a creative workshop where the task was to make a collage, or paint the way that they live the new values. Incredible creations I can promise.
I hope that it make sense what I had written, it sure is hard to explain in another language if it doesn't - ask me to be more clear because I have found that this is really working and put the energy out in the organisation and not just with the management team.
All the best

Bästa hälsningar

Eva P Svensson

EPS Human Invest AB
"Verksamhetsutveckling genom människor skapar
långsiktigt välmående företag och organisationer!"
Anåsbergsvägen 22
439 34  ONSALA
Tfn: 0300-615 05
Mobil:0706-89 85 50