1500+ Hospital OS in Chile

Johann BORQUEZ zekrov at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 8 08:15:07 PST 2004

Hi,

I have been requested to facilitate an Open Space meeting for more than
1500 hospital workers. The hospital is about to begin its normalization
process (they have to design the hospital for the next 20 years, a $10M
investment), and I have a headache about the proceedings presentation
process: my experience shows that 1 session is convened every 10 - 15
attendants; with 1500 people it means 100 sessions - 3 minutes per group
makes 300 minutes: 5 hours! I doubt that somebody will be able to listen
for 5 hours and still be concentrated enough to meaningfully vote at the
end. How do I do that? My guesses are:
1. Divide the 1500 in three 500-people groups, work with each in a
separate day, and leave the door open for people to come all three days,
if someone feels like that. It makes little sense to me, because the point
of OST is to get the whole system in a room.
2. Don't prioritize the issues the same day of the Open Space meeting: let
people raise concerns, identify leaders and networks around them, register
the proceedings and share them for a week or two through other channels
(Bulletin Boards, e-BBS, email, printed form, etc.). After that, make
people vote -convene a special "voting session" in a big space where
everybody can see the proceedings, and vote.
3. ??

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Johann Bórquez Bohn