Givens: some comments

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 20:13:56 PST 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:27:40 +0000, kerry napuk <k at napuk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris
>
> Your handling of "givens" is positively clever and thanks for posting
> it.   However, does not the objective remain to remove the "givens"
> from the agenda and allow free exchange and dialogue?

Well yes and no.  It is not up to me to tell the client whether or not
their attachment to givens is a bad thing.  Yesterday I facilitated a
very high profile meeting hosted by our provincial premier and of
course it was loaded with givens.  We weren't using OST, but I tried
to open as much space as I could.

If the client wants free exchange and dialogue then yes, we discuss
constarints on that.  In the example of the streatgic planning OST I
facilitated, the client wanted both dialogue and and information
useful to the immediate strategic needs of the organization.  The
design didn't prohibit anything; the leadership just said "talk about
anything you want, but if you want us to include it in the plan, find
a way to fit it into the five streams."  They didn't define those
streams beforehand, other than categorically "Finances" and as a
result of the conversations and the way the group chose to sort it's
work, the fields of each of these categories became defined -
perfectly.  That's why I think of it as an elegant design.

> What do you do when the sponsor hangs onto "givens" and refuses to
> yield and you know in your heart of hearts that it will damage or
> undermine the event?

Like you, I'll offer another process.  But if the potential damage is
serious, then I don't do the event.  I have an ethical sense of what a
legitimate engagement process is and when it crosses the line for me I
back off.  If people are being "led down the garden path," that is,
invited to do something under false pretenses, I won't facilitate that
at all.

Cheers,

Chris

--