Givens -- Again

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 21:38:57 PST 2004

Yay Viv!

This is exactly as it really should be.  We make a pretty big deal
about Open Space.  My last client implored me not to talk about the
process, just to facilitate the meeting.  I told him that's why I
offer a practice workshop: so we can talk about the process.  I
assured him that I was there to facilitate a meeting and that's just
what happened.

But good for you.  I think this moves towards Harrison's ultimate goal
to see Open Space fade away into everyday practice.

One thing to note about non-convergence.  It wasn't my idea alone.
Michael Herman and I talked for the better part of a night about two
and a half years ago about this topic and he wrote up a whole series
of observations stemming from that conversation and a lot of other
thinking he had been doing which he published here:

http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?NonConvergence

The truth is that Peggy Holman and Larry Peterson and others have been
looking at this idea since at least OSonOS V in Toronto.  My own
standard practice of Opening Space and then doing a non-convergence
action planning exercise is largely built on ideas I have cribbed from
all of these fine mentors.  Hopefully the next edition (wink wink,
nudge nudge) of the User's Guide might see a version of our process
described in there...although Harrison does needle me a fair amount
about my aversion to voting.  I've put it down to the quintessential
difference between monarchist Canadians and American republicans!  ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN