Half-way Technology (longish)

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 14:58:31 PDT 2004

Harrison and all:

--- Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

> It all started, as is usual in such cases, with a
> conversation (...)

I was expecting something different... After reading
the first few messages with some attention and the
others very supperficially, I would like to make some
comments (very shortly and with no time for
"revision").

First, for me OST is a "meeting methodology". In this
sense OST is a complete meeting methodology.

It can be said to be "half way" only in the sense that
facilitators of some other methods work too hard,
impose too many rules and, after all, they maintain
the disenpowerment of people that our closed society
and closed organizations created in the first place.

Maybe it is also "half way" in another sense. Sorry to
repeat this but the iniciator himself also created too
many principles. The good thing is that he also said
that "less is more" and that we must find "some other
thing not to do". I have conducted quite a few OST
meetings without refering the 4 principles AT ALL! It
always worked. So, I am convinced that with the other
"foundations" (including the law) it works ok and the
principles are not needed at all.

Please think about my hypothesis for some seconds. If
by chance I am right a lot of material would have to
change. Not only the "givens" but all the talk about
"Spirit" (with capital), about "whatever happens"  and
already-thereness...

Now is OST "the method" to create Open Organizations,
Interactive Organizations, Learning Organizations or
whatever you like to call them? I don't think so.
Probabbly it helps, probably it is needed, but it is
not suficient. But it is not "half way" because this
would mean that we can use OST complemented with some
other methods and have the (genuine?) solution. I
don't believe in that either.

If you know about an Open (Interative, Learning,
etc)Organization, please name it. Collect data.
Explain. And let us all verify and confirm.

The method for organizational metanoia is not yet
invented - if it will be one day, which I doubt. But
we can become closer to understand the process, I
hope. With our spirit of course and no need for any
other Spirit.

Artur