Audio Book Status and where to put'em

Lucas Gonzalez lgs0a at yahoo.es
Tue May 18 01:21:43 PDT 2004

Alex

Thanks for your work!

> I'm still waiting for Harrisons publisher to tell me, where they want
> the files placed, but I was thinking that we might go ahead and find
> a temporary place until then. Any suggestions where that might be?
> Then when the publisher finds a place, we can either move the files
> there or host them in both places.

I think there are still a few things to be done or decided on, which we
could perhaps do in parallel:

AGREGATING FILES IN ONE PLACE:

A friend lets me have 50 megabytes of FTP storage - just my set of
files are about 35 MB.  So we cannot use that for "permanent" storage
of *all* files, but it can be used as a temporary place for each set of
files: "readalouders" can upload and Alex (or someone else) can
download, then free the space for the next uploader, etc.  This would
help in "aggregating" the files in just one place (Alex's disk at home,
etc).  The FTP site I can use is password protected, so contact me if
needed.

It may be easier to just upload to the "final" place directly, but it
depends on what has to be done on the files: if they have to be
processed somehow, then it's better if they find their way to the
person who will do the processing.

What would be a good way to do this?

PROCESSING THE FILES:

This "processing" may include joining files, adding chapter titles,
perfecting sound, etc.

People without broadband will want small chunks, but others might want
one big file (maybe an .iso image).

Who will do this?  What help is needed?

Maybe this can be tried out with the available files?  (Mine are an FTP
away.)

WEB ACCESSABLE STORAGE:

This would be an FTP or HTTP site (HO's publishers or wherever).  An
HTTP site is better, as FTP access may be blocked from some locations.

I think we need storage in the order of 8x2x35=560 megabytes.  How many
hours of audio is that?  Roughly, a CD's worth of compressed (MP3)
space - much more than one hour!

If many people wish to download the files, we may need mirror-sites.
We wish!

MENUES AND LOGOS:

Once the files are in a permanent place, linking to them is easy, with
a menu from someone's webpage, or maybe from many webpages (all linking
to the same files).

We might even think of some logos so that the "download buttons" look
nice.  Just "PoP" in a suitable font?

LICENSE:

The text itself is copyrighted.

Will the audio files have a "just copy me around" license?
http://www.creativecommons.org is the place to look for options.

Maybe people should have the option of having "quotes" - just a
paragraph or a sentence in a small MP3 file?

Lucas

Correo Yahoo! - 6MB, más protección contra el spam ¡Gratis!
http://correo.yahoo.es