OST as an "halfway technology"

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon May 10 22:25:59 PDT 2004

In a message dated 5/10/04 3:01:39 PM, arturfsilva at yahoo.com writes:

Artur wrote:
> - OST is not Open in the sense that it has no rules.
> In my opinion, on the contrary, OST has some
> "foundations" and rules that SUSPEND, for the duration
> of the event - and maybe more - the
> normal-closed-Model-1-rules
>
> I agree with you on this point--I think this is an important reason why Open
Space works.   The real question is with the "and maybe more," which is more
difficult.   During an initial Open Space in an organization, the intention of
the facilitator helps a lot to keep the normal rules suspended.   Once the
meeting is over, keeping the space open will depend on the intention and actions
of leaders inside the organization, who may or may not understand how to
sustain the change, and who may or may not want to do so.

When I examine how hard it is to make desired changes in my own behavior,
it's not hard to see why changing behavior in organizations is uphill work!

Can you say more about metanoia?

Joelle