Open Space / Open List / The Public Domain

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Mar 31 19:24:07 PST 2004

re: delete...

it must be technically possible, i suppose, to delete all of one
person's postings. but it would diminish us all. and it would never be
able to flush out all the quotings of those messages. as we have had all
these years of service for the grand total of $0.00, thanks to murli's
good vision and good gifting, i wouldn't want to go back and make any
more trouble than we have to. of course, there is always passion bounded
by responsibility: you all have a delete button in front of you now! use
it as you need to... it's the law of "one click and it's private
forever" <grin> thanks, m

Therese Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I think of my online list serv communications on a par with verbal
> communication. Things I post online are akin, in my thinking, to things I
> say with my voice in face to face conversations. I do not control my
> words
> once they are verbalized and I do not control my thoughts/ideas once they
> are posted. We can come up with many structures to attempt to control how
> our ideas/words/thoughts are interpreted by another. . . but no matter
> what
> structures we adopt, the mercurial quicksilver reality of ideas will
> remain
> ephemeral. Even if we privatize the archives of this list, something I do
> not think we should do, we will not control the combustion of thinking or
> the context of another person's use of our ideas. I don't quite think of
> open space as a technology. . . I think of it as an explanation for how
> things actually work, as opposed to the illusion that form and structure
> could control the nature of reality. If open space is a good
> explanation of
> how things work then efforts to privatize thinking is, in the very big
> picture, and in my humble opinion(IMHO), absolutely futile.
>
> Given my beliefs about the nature of reality and the relativity of
> time and
> space, I don't think it matters if the archives for this list are open or
> closed BUT I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to give people the
> ability to delete their posts? A delete function might give people a
> different sense of safety on this list. . . and such a function would be,
> IMHO, akin to the law of two feet.

> Visit:

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates