what I am prepared to engage in and what I am not prepared to engage in with my energy--the archives

Lisa lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 28 20:11:12 PST 2004

Birgitt ---

I respect you for telling your truth and naming what feels right and
what does not feel right to you.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

I can of course only speak for myself.  So for myself I say, I welcome
anyone who wishes to use any words or thoughts I have shared, any
materials I have created, to use it in any way they wish.  I trust that
you all will use it with good intention, and I feel greatly respected
when you ask me and let me know how and in what context you will use it.
But if it can help you in any way, it is yours to share.  I say this to
folks on this list and anyone who finds my words out there in internet
land through this list, my website, a handout from a workshop or
anything else that carries my written words.

My learnings from Harrison's example (and it resonates with what I have
always thought) is that information is not to be owned, but to be
shared, for the strength and betterment of us all.  So I for one am
happy that our conversations are available to anyone who may have an
interest.

At the same time I fully understand how you may feel, Birgitt, as you
may have had different experiences than me in your life and in the world
of people using or catching your words out of context and so on.  And I
thank you for naming what you are comfortable with and what you are not
comfortable with.  I am curious - did you actually go back and copyright
your words in the archive / conversations on this list to date?  That is
important for me to know, should I wish to quote you.  Of course I would
do you the honor of asking for your permission and showing you how I
might like to use your words - but if they (the great responses,
solutions and uses of the method you have shared) are copywritten, I
will need to learn more about such things to see how legally I may
document your approval for use and so on (thanks for sharing what you
know about this process).

It is my understanding that Michael took the initiative to broaden
access as a service to a world learning about Open Space, and I for one
support the passion and personal responsibility that guided him - the
same thing that happens in an Open Space event that forms community and
cares for it.  My reading of his offer and action was that it was done
out of love and generosity.

Birgitt, I honor you for speaking your truth, and the courage it can
take to put such painful feelings into words.

Warmly,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator