5 Simultaneous Open Spaces

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Fri Mar 26 08:38:32 PST 2004

Michael:

" Perhaps a separate open space on the issues and opportunities around
that new kind of work they are facing?"

We have in fact being doing that.  We did an OST on getting the new
model of housing management started that included staff from different
parts of the organization (about 350 folks).  Some managers took the
workshop with Harrison (basically the Practice of Peace in
Organizations) last November.  One just took the OS Workshop for
facilitators/sponsors in early March that Diane Gibeault and I led.

As the "share services" units that provide support to the new model have
been re-designing their roles -- with another consultant's assistance--
Starfield has facilitated OST events on how to engage staff (and
sometimes customers or stakeholders other than tenants) in pursuing the
new directions.  We have held two of these so far with an "intake" group
and a "safety" staff group.  We will likely have another OST plus some
workshops to learn how to Open Space for the staff group that provides
support to tenants and staff as they work together to enable the local
clusters to make key decisions.  (The group to which you alluded.)  The
lead in that group sees the value of her staff learning how to "open
space for citizen participation" as she states it.

It is certainly going down a path to learn how to accelerate
"self-organization" in the context of a "hierarchy" that is required by
law and city politics.  There is some real understanding and
appreciation of this approach by the most senior leadership.  Practice
of the new consciousness and behaviours required is the journey and it
is both present and yet to come.

 Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation