5 Simultaneous Open Spaces

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Mar 25 12:52:44 PST 2004

Carla

The 5 themes did come out of a previous OST event.  The sponsor is the
largest social housing provider in North America and has a group of
"tenant representatives" from 27 local housing groups/clusters that
total almost 350.  The first event helped them explore the broadest
theme of discovering the issues for staff and tenants to work together
beyond their individual clusters.  The five critical areas were seen to
require some "drilling down" and so they chose to go at all 5 at once,
rather than do it sequentially as it takes lots of organizing to get
such meetings together.  (My advice was to go sequentially, but I'm not
the sponsor.)  There was a real concern to get some more stuff going on
the 5 themes and to demonstrate to tenants that they were willing to do
so.  Now that we have had the first follow-up meeting to that event, the
capacity of mid and front line staff to deal with multiple tenant/staff
initiatives is being explored.  It is also the ability to provide
staffing without "controlling"  --  a hard learning for those who were
trained in social work.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation