What is the deep intent of a gathering and what form best serves that?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 05:34:08 PST 2004

Tim – it is difficult to argue with what you have said. And I don’t think
the issue was about “best” but rather about the possibility (advisability)
of using a combination of Open Space and Café. There are clearly situations
where due to the needs of the “client,” and the group, (and maybe also the
facilitator) where Café will fill the bill. But doing them (OS and Café)
together raises issues of a different sort for me. I suppose part of this
relates to the pragmatic (some would say lazy) American that I am – never
doing more than I have to in order to achieve some result. It also relates
to a basic principle for me, which in medieval times was known as The Law of
Parsimony, and also Occams Razor. My version of all this is to think of one
more thing not to do. This is the way I have approached Open Space
Technology over the years – always trying to do less. Fewer words, fewer
actions, fewer introductions. . . removing accretions to reveal the core. I
think what I discovered in the process is not a new methodology, design or
process, but rather that the essential mechanisms of human community and
meaning making are already hardwired into each and every one of us and all
of us together. Further, that these mechanisms (dynamics if you don’t like
the “mechanistic” flavor) work quite well all by themselves given a chance
AND that they work better when unconstrained by layers of lay-ons which we
might have thought to be good ideas at the time. Such things as community
building activities and other icebreaking approaches at the start. Or in
this case – doing a Café to prepare the ground, as it were. Internally (once
the Open Space is under way), I have found that formal processes like
Dialogue and Appreciative Inquiry, although great in themselves, actually
seem to slow the field in Open Space. Or putting it another way, it appears
to me that dialogue and appreciative inquiry appear as natural concomitants
of just opening space. And it really isn’t about “doing” an Open Space, but
rather simply allowing the ongoing, natural process of self-organization to
do its job. Are there limitations to this approach? Theoretically, I am sure
there are, but at a practical level I personally have never experienced a
situation where The People, given the space could not do very well all by
themselves, and certainly better than anything I might dream up for them.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: