What is the deep intent of a gathering and what form best serves that?

Tim Merry tim at engage.nu
Tue Mar 23 08:02:39 PST 2004

Hi,

I would like to add something to Cafe, Open Space discussion. It has
stirred something in me around the Art of Hosting. That it is more
about the hosting of the space, than the either/ors of Cafe/Open Space.

I work with both Cafe, Open Space, Peerspirit Circle, Community Music,
Theatre of the Oppressed ... the bottom line is that these all are not
tools, but ways of being. They are experiments in how human beings can
be together in a way that nurtures their spirit and the blue planet we
live in. These processes work when they serve a deep and meaningful
intent for all those gathered.  We are on the edge of design and
discovery here, of re-learning and new learning, the bow wave of the
boat. Experimenters in the profound practice of gathering around what
we care about and taking responsibility in terms of action.

It is not a question, for me, of which is better full-stop. It is a
question of what best meets people where they are at and invites the
next step into whole full living. Cafe works well in certain places,
participative theatre catches the spirit in another place, there are no
final answers, Open Space is not the solution, just one of many
emergent phenomena which are a manifestation of a shift/return in
spirit and practice.

These spaces are sacred in the world now. They are few and should not
be taken lightly. Each time a gathering is called it needs foreplay,
conversation, honing and shaping. We are challenged by life now to open
spaces through which the future can be born into the present. Cafe is
one of these conduits, should be honoured as such, and used when it is
the appropriate form to hold the storm.

How can we call, design and host spaces that allow humans to create
from their best and highest goodness?

be cool,

Tim