open space

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Sat Mar 13 17:14:10 PST 2004

Hello Vona -- I shall offer a few quick answers....
  I am doing a research o n the use of O.S. in the Catholic church. It is
connected to an O.S .even held last autumn in Hungary. I've made several
interviews with the participants and many quesitons arouse. If you have any
ideas, opinions about the following quesitons. Feel free to answer.

  1. If the participants do not know much about O.S. in advance, they can
bring up a topic, but can they take responsibility for their topic if they
did not have the chance to prepare for that topic?

  I can give you a few examples of those who came, posted and surprised
themselves -- and many others on this list as well.  I have seen several
experience it lately and a couple of years ago in Alaska a 17 year old
posted topic on teen suicide and attracted unbelievable resources in the
room -- developed curriculum, established a teen suicide hotline and had
interested funders -- all in a 2 day OST

  2. The Law of Two Feet can give you the chance to "step out" of those
situations, which seem to be awkward and problematic but if you are brave
enough and stay there, maybe you can solve your problems. Isn't it dangerous
to step out of each situation which we find at first sight uncomfortable or
boring. Maybe it is just the temptation to escape and avoid something.
  The law of two feet (or mobility) is an invitation.  In my experience
people don't feel that they have to move -- and yet the invitation to move
allows us to treat each others as adults.  I can stay and dance with the
space or dance to another space.

  3. Have you ever participated in an O.S. in religious context? What was
your experience?
  I have facilitated a few OST's for religious organizations.  I found them
very rich experiences -- the circle viewed as a sacred place.  I've also
facilitated several OST's for First Nation's peoples in Canada and Native
communities elsewhere, where people move right to the sacred!

  4. Many religious people expect guidance from the church. But in an O.S.
everybody can bring up topics and there is no guidance. IN a religious
context people need spiritual guidance, they want to be filled with words
and want to be supported. How can O.S. work for these type of people?
  In the churches I've worked with (of many denominations) critical thinking
is appreciated.  Quite often parishoners speak as to their
  "take" on meaning and share at a deeper level.  A year ago last July I was
asked to facilitate a group of Elders in Vermont -- Hopi, Navajo, Mayan,
Cherokee, Mi'kmaq, and more -- and I was humbled at the deep sense of
sharing -- and left with a heart full of hope for humanity.

  Best of luck with the research.

  Judi Richardson

  I look forward to any replies.

  Best wishes, Andrea Vona, University of Economic Sciences, Budapest,
Hugary.

  http://www.vipmail.hu