Systems Thinking

Martin Leith martin at martinleith.com
Tue Mar 2 11:57:33 PST 2004

Esther,

If you go to the systems theory page of my (just resdesigned) website,
http://www.martinleith.com/other_topics/systems_theory.html, you'll find
links to some excellent sites.

Have you looked into the Beer Game, described on one website I've just
checked out as "Online supply chain management simulator", which is
mentioned in Senge's book, the Fifth Discipline? Senge's take on systems
thinking/theory is a little mechanistic for my taste (it's a version of
System Dynamics, which came out of MIT) but it will probably meet your
client's needs. The Beer Game will certainly provide an actual experience of
unintended consequences.

You can save yourself the trouble of doing a Google search for the Beer Game
by clicking on this link:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22beer+game%22

Hope this is useful.

Warmly,

Martin

Martin Leith
Movers and Shakers (currently administered by Martin Leith Limited)
10 Pembroke Street, Bristol BS2 8PZ, United Kingdom

Office telephone: 0117 963 3555 (+44 117 963 3555)
Home telephone: 0117 942 2727 (+44 117 942 2727)
Mobile: 07808 773713 (+44 7808 773713)
email: martin at martinleith.com
Movers and Shakers website: www.moversandshakers.ms
Personal website and free value creation resources: www.martinleith.com