Systems Thinking

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 14:02:39 PST 2004

Dear Esther,

One of the questions that popped into my mind was "Why does he need/want to
do this?"   That might lead to a different set of options than what appears to
me to be a focus on the academic side of Systems Thinking.   Does he want to
improve his operations/organizational outcomes?   Make more money?   Have more
fun?   There may be better options than an immersion in systems thinking.

There is a consulting practice in Britain that is very practical, a bit
ascerbic, but useful for thinking about this subject.   John Seddon has written a
book called "Freedom from command and control, a better way to make the work
work."   He's very systems oriented.   His organization is called "The Vanguard
Group" and a URL that might get you more information is www.lean-service.com.
 He is what we call a "Lean Thinker", meaning a disciple of the Toyota
Production philosophy.

It may be that your client really wants to know about Lean Thinking.
Putting that in a search engine will get you lots and lots of information.

You might also track down books by Gerald Nadler, who is one of the premier
Systems Thinkers that I know about.

Sincerely,

Paul Everett
jpeseeker at aol.com