Multiple closing circles

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 31 19:18:00 PST 2004

Hi--

Well it is sort of like multiple closing circles.

About 3 weeks ago following a church dinner, about 50 members of our
protestant church congregation met with the man we had called to be our
next Pastor. In order to give him a sense of who we are, we did something
that looked a whole lot like a closing talking stick circle in OST. We did
two rounds with these questions:

1. What do you like about our church?

2. Where do you see us 5 years from now?

Now here comes the rub: Two days ago this Pastor called to say he felt led
to stay where he was and not accept our call.

We have a couple other people to have the congregation meet. But, there are
reservations on our committee about repeating that same process. I share
those reservations: it was a bonding and emotional experience. Repeating
that seems to me will risk boredom or degrading the quality of the
experience.

Has anyone here had any experience that would add wisdom to our decisions
on what process we should use if we need to have visits from 1, 2 or 3 more
"candidates?"

For instance, should we repeat the process exactly the same way each time?
Or should we repeat it but ask different questions? Or should we try an
entirely different process each time? If so, what?

I know I can expect great ideas and wisdom from you.

                              :-Doug. Germann