Modesty & 5 Simultaneous Open Spaces

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sat Mar 27 08:44:02 PST 2004

Chris:
Michael is right that we have lots of experience here in Ontario,
Canada, with OS being more than a lost leader but as part of a change
process -- with some evidence of real results in a number of
organizations -- community, government and corporate.  It is not only
"part" it is integral and essential as an "accelerator" of
self-organization and change.  Starfield has called it the Project
Accelerator or Performance Accelerator and it is engages change
processes that also need the best skills of "project planning" or
leadership to move to implementation of specific pieces.  The cultural
and momentum shift, plus the learning with OST accelerates the
self-organization and the change (If it fits).  Or it doesn't and that
is important learning.

The case I have been sharing on the OS List is one of the best examples.
We are one external player in the change process of this large
organization.  We have worked at most levels with OST events as part of
change agendas.

Michael:  You said:

"For me as facilitator working with teams (often groups of  7 or more)
its proven to be useful to consciously design the "hierarchy" for the
team and for the interaction of the team with other subsystems
(catering, publishing, facility management, the sponsors, child-care,
sound technician, press/radio/television, etc.)  for the open
space-event (including pre-meetings, setting up the os, the os itself,
follow up)."

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  I usually don't get involved
in "designing" the hierarchy in systems I'm in.  They usually have one
in place, but it may not work very well.  When I work with a "sponsor"
developing an OST event as part of a change process, I get as clear as
necessary with them about the nature of the decision structure within
which they are working  -- who makes what "formal" decisions.  The
sponsor group is often a cross section, but not always.  Clarifying the
"context" within which they are fostering change and opening space is
critical at the beginning.  That makes it more likely they will
understand how to "coordinate" the energy and clarity (do its) that
emerge from the OST and convergence in relation to what is being
pursued.

I think that Elliot Jacques studies of hierarchy do suggest that it also
"emerged" historically for certain kinds of reasons, like efficiency of
putting out fires.  It is possible for accountability structures
(hierarchy) to function better than they do in most systems.  As Ken
Wilbur would say -- everything has some truth for its "stage".
(Hierarchy comes out of Blue -- Traditional and Orange --
Scientific/Rational).  So, OST transcends (and includes) the hierarchy
in organizations.  For most complex systems it does not eliminate it at
this stage in the consciousness development of the people in the
organization.  But, being intentional about "self-organization" enlivens
and maybe transforms and makes it more possible to find "fit".

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada