modesty doesnt change hierarchy, and may cost us the world

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 01:42:01 PST 2004

So we in OSworld intimately know the simplest method of communing-
opening the space so that hierarchy doesn't monopolise-rule, and human
common sense flourishes over time
Yet my research of UK open spacers the last 3 weeks shows an extreme
modesty. We mumble :
-yes OST is the best agent for making hierarchy connect positively with
other forms of self-organising
-BUT clients only want one OST, so it's a loss leader to run a
facilitation business around

I beg to disagree - wholeheartedly. Here's an exploration. Join in; say
how to do it better; but I will hear no more of OST being difficult to
design in as the connecting thread of large scale or continuous
organisational change. That's false modesty , what todays' world can
least afford from us.
Exploration 1
Convene roundtables of 5 people in 1-day open spaces. Find some way to
make the topic people come to discuss getting over hierarchy in an
organisation's system (and how any such process figuratively or
literally depends on continuously opening space). At these roundtables,
I suggest inviting people whose function gives them the budget to buy
something that starts continuous system change from hierarchy being the
big loser in the organisational design, to it being the connector with
making teams win, or people's networks win or whichever is the
self-organising you believe a company's context most needs to promote
first
HR1.1 The first time a large organisation's system gets over hierarchy
is the greatest value multiplying breakthrough. (After that, designing
the best of hierarchy and the best of every form of knowledge working is
relatively simple as an organisational change intervention)
HR1.2 Ask which is your organisation's breakthrough KM arena: hierarchy
&...
examples:
hierarchy & teams
hierarchy & CoPs
hierarchy & people's social networks
hierarchy & value exchanges as mapped by Allee
hierarchy & transparency across networks of organisations as needed in
Nuclear clean up
hierarchy & selectively empowering entrepreneurs (eg including
collaboration with SME clusters)
I have it mind that the way to negotiate who wants to come such
roundtables may be to start publishing such pattern rules (of trust-flow
or value multiplication) anywhere that people read. I need help
wordsmithing this pattern rules. I need help exploring how we do these
roundtable workshops. I openly hope that someone somewhere makes a great
business out of them faster than I do but that we share the confidences.
I will not rest while I hear facilitators of Open space tell me they
cannot design OST as the central connecting method that governs
continuous change in organisational systems. We are losing the world
while you confess that OST is the loss leader in your businesses.
Hope it was OK to speak openly like this. Transformation was never going
to be a wholly modest game to play. Was it?
Chris macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Uk mobile 0793 144 2446

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit: