why to uniquely value OS

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 08:13:11 PST 2004

I enjoyed half a day with Amanda Bucklow yesterday who is keeping the
circle open on how do we explain or do other ‘pre-work’ for openspace to
the people who most need to permit it- this being one of 6 project
circles that emerged from the UK OSonOS in February
http://www.openspaceuk.com/projects/index.html

I am just jotting some notes which blend that conversation with the one
I have been trying to rehearse on Open Space as most undervalued
technology there is and wholly different from any other facilitation
café etc . Any comments: anything stand out? anything my own baggage? I
bet some of this is so obvious to all of you (apologies if its all
obvious!) chris macrae

DISCOVERING : INNOVATION, RENEWAL, PEOPLE CONNECTIONS
If we are going to resolve and sustain reconciliation of any of the
world’s biggest conflicts, open space will likely play a part in
communing’s immense but invisible way. Given that, most other innovation
challenges are childsplay for OS. 3R’s of Renewal:
-Restoring trust where illwill was systemised;
-Restoring spirit where many may have forgotten the experience.
-Restoring access to the sustainable connections so that the
community/network will be strong whatever the forces are out there that
will seek to disconnect the people again.

1 Know that there is a great energy force when people come around the
same deeply human context, the more so if their passions are
diametrically in conflict. Know the 3 C’s (Conflict, Change aka Chaos,
Confusion) as a way to see through the system’s barriers (Conflict means
there’s huge value here (let’s turn system of that from destruction to
construction); Change is always part of the root cause of conflict and
the longer this has compounded the more complex or personally
frightening the change field is likely to be. Usually the top, if has
insisted on ruling above all, will have compounded conflicts however
unknowingly so it is the first Confusion to caringly get a peaceful
timeout from –space from the top is one of the greatest gifts a
facilitator can host

2 Innovate through big conflict by taking ‘power over people’ wholly
away from the conversation so that there is a climate of high trust with
people seeing and respecting one another as people first and , and
everyone flying through the Space’s equality of participation freedoms,
and all the self- and mutual confidences that multiplies

3 Provide a stage/circle/dance-space where people feel the spirit as the
very opposite of what they may experience in everyday organisational
work etc; leaving the question open why cant we open more spaces every
day in every way; could it be the secret of lifting ourselves up from
misery starts with something so naturally simple?

4 Establish during the days of the space enough deep connections and
seeds for conversations so that from the parting, the network, the
community will continue; make sure everyone leaves with full
documentation and permission access to find where all those seeds for
reconnecting with are whenever most needed