OS in a religious context

Piotr Banach pioban at openspace.pl
Sun Mar 14 15:44:41 PST 2004

Dear Andrea,

your questions are a good opportunity to introduce myself to the OS LIST.

My name is Piotr Banach and I'm a Polish Open Space facilitator.

For the first time I participated in an OS-event in September 2002 in Erkner (Berlin/Germany). Michael M Pannwitz was a facilitator and he encouraged me to know an Open Space. After this I participated in a few Open Space events and than I did an OS training in Weimar (Germany, Mai 2003).

So I could try to facilitate my first Open Space event in my home town Parczew (Poland). Since that first Open Space event, which I facilitated in Parczew, till now, I did about 10 events in Poland. In Weimar were with me 4 Polish people, and so we organize now in Poland an "Open Space Poland Group".

(Do you know anybody from Poland, who facilitates Open Space beside us?)

Why were your questions, Andrea, important for me?

Because I'm a catholic priest...

In one community, in a middle of Poland (Kutno) I'm a parish priest now.

It is very interesting, because although I'm a priest, I don't have any experience with Open Space in a religious context. I organized once an Open Space in my own parish, but the theme was more social than religious: What can a parish do for the people, who are unemployed?

In Poland people don't know Open Space at all. Every time I have to explain very precisely the method and to encourage people to take responsibility for their topics. Some times it is quite difficult, but it works.

Dear Andrea, you are right, that many religious people expect guidance from the church (especially here, in East Europe). But I think, there is the time to change it, and the Open Space Technology is a very useful method to do this. I our Polish church we have to encourage people to take a responsibility for the community, for the church, for our religious life. I think Open Space can help in this work.

As a priest, I'll try to do this in a future. For example I facilitate an Open Space in April for Polish pastoral theologians. I'm prepared to be surprised, but I hope as well, that this method will work in a religious context too.

Very many greetings to the whole OS LIST from Kutno (Poland)!

Piotr

PS. I'm sorry for my English, but my first foreign language is German. I want so much to learn English more...

EConOS
OPEN SPACE POLSKA
Konferencje - Szkolenia - Doradztwo
Piotr Banach