your country's moveon.org or similar

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 04:42:47 PST 2004

If you have a favourite web-based policy community for the people in
your country please could you send me the bookmark
Chris Macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk

I will collate and return to this list in due course

As an example I think of the US www.moveon.org <http://www.moveon.org/>
;it may not be wholly anyone's cup of tea but its campaigns are clearly
using web power, and they seem to raise debates for the people that the
main parties- and certainly the mass media like CBS -  wont touch

I am asking this because I'm volunteering on behalf of a UK group
www.simpol.org <http://www.simpol.org/>

(this does not mean I know the people at simpol.org very well but it
seems to me that a starting point is to find people's favourite open
policy webs in different countries and try to work out what they do that
helps the people network common sense

cheers, chris macrae
recent extract from a simpol newsletter
Making Politicians Act in Our Global Common Interest

Whether it's global warming, environmental destruction, global poverty
or unfair trade, there's a manifest and growing 'disconnect' between the
interests of ordinary people and the actions of politicians who
frequently act against our best interests.

But it's not difficult to see why.

To solve these problems unavoidably means increasing taxes and
regulations on industry and markets, thus increasing their costs. But
with corporations and financial markets able to move investment and jobs
out of any country intending to impose increased taxes, etc it's little
wonder no government does so. In fact, they're doing the reverse, so our
problems only get worse. Today, this results in worsening global and
local problems and rampant voter apathy. But soon it could become
nothing less than a question of humanity's very survival.