A thought to take us further?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Jun 22 09:49:09 PDT 2004

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. wrote:

>Hi--
>
>This insight came to me this morning, and I wonder if it takes us further
>on our road toward understanding what, in the larger picture, is going on
>inside humanity?
>
>      Posting a topic serves to focus our attention on an aspect of
>      something we care about. Focusing attention is a way of assuming
>      responsibility.
>
>Does this feel right? Can you suggest where this might be heading?
>
>                              :-Doug. Germann
>                              Retreats to Make Change

I think that might be heading towards Open Space Technology myself...  ;-)

I also think that focusing attention is a way to begin to assume
responsibility, like when you notice that the drain is stuck.  You look
at the sink, sigh and fold the newspaper and go and get the
plunger...all of which is a preamble to the actual action of "taking
care of it."  Still, there is no substitute for the doing.  Especialy
when the drain is stuck.

Passion to responsibility is more of a glide than a phase shift.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada

Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology

Homepage: http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:17:58 -0500
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Ashley Cooper <ashcooper at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: A thought to take us further?

> Hi--
>
> This insight came to me this morning, and I wonder if it takes us further
> on our road toward understanding what, in the larger picture, is going on
> inside humanity?
>
>       Posting a topic serves to focus our attention on an aspect of
>       something we care about. Focusing attention is a way of assuming
>       responsibility.
>
> Does this feel right? Can you suggest where this might be heading?
>
>                               :-Doug. Germann
>                               Retreats to Make Change

i also think that posting a topic, in any form (OST, listserv, forum,
bulletin board, in converstation, etc.) is a way of inviting curiosity and
care. by focussing the attention and inviting expanssion/exploration with
others, one is inviting others to join in the momentum of bringing a topic
out into action... a chance to expand upon the notion through curiosity and
care. when passion accompanies accepting the invitation, that's when a
collective assumption of responsibility seems to be most powerful. feels
silly to be saying this to this audience...as i'm just describing OST.

"Passion to responsibility is more of a glide than a phase shift."

chris, will you say more about that?

thanks,
ashley

www.ashleycoop.blogspot.com