OST translated into Maori

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jun 14 21:32:09 PDT 2004

Anne A Hiha wrote:

> Kia ora Chris
>
> I heard from Helen Patterson that you were coming to New Zealand and
> was disappointed that you came and went without us connecting.  It
> would have been great but maybe next time.  Is Kiley Ngati Porou - a
> descendant of the 'famous in New Zealand' George Nepia?

I think Kiley is in fact Ngati Porou, but not sure about his whakapapa.

> I was interested to read your description of Open space in te reo
> Maori.  I have been playing around with Maori concepts and words for
> some time and one of the things I and others I have talked with reckon
> is that the Marae Atea - the open space outside the Whare nui or Whare
> puni (Maori Meeting House) and infact the whole Marae complex is a
> great metaphor for OST.

This is what seemed to resonate with folks in Te Tau Ihu as well.  i
spent a lot of time with Michael Elkington when I was in Nelson and we
were around the Whakatu Marae for a while discussing meeting protocols.
Kiley and some of the Aunties in the OST meeting were very insistent
that OST was a Maori technology, a sentiment that is shared by nearly
all indigenous groups I work with.  There is a real sense of ownership
among those who truly "get" OST.

> The process that takes place at times of welcome is very formal in
> structure and yet people bring the topics they are passionate about to
> the forum - lay them down infront of every one - there are no
> parameters here around time (and only the Men are allowed to talk
> -mmm) to put forward your topic - Anyway after that formality the
> topics laid down at the welcome are discussed or not by whoever wants
> to and the rest go off and do what they want to do and so it flows.

Yes...this process was discussed a lot in the practice workshop I did in
Nelson as well, comparing notes and seeing how OST would fit with marae
protocol.  Several participants remarked that OST seemed a natural way
to bridge the traditional processes with contemporary realities,
including the inclusion of women in hui.  In other words it brings
traditional values and philosophies right into a new way of conducting
meetings.  This cultural integrity is one reason OSt is finding a home
in many indigenous communities here in Canada.

> A group of us had fun with the the rule and principles too but the
> only one I can remember is:
>
> When it starts is the right time and we though Watea Atea would be
> great for that (time open).
>
> I have not done anything formally with OST for ages.  I am focusing on
> getting my Masters but it is always in the back of my mind and the
> work has informed my study so all is not lost.

I'll post the rest of the material as it comes in.  Sorry we didn't
connect in New Zealand.  Perhaps next time.

Cheers,

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN