One Story?

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 07:33:34 PDT 2004

On 6/20/04 2:00 AM, Ashley Cooper wrote:

> ralph (or others),
>
> what's your favorite earth/cosmos story?
>
> ashley

Is there more than one?

I like various versions.  Thomas Berry and Brian Swimme have an excellent
book called The Universe Story.  Jennifer Morgan tells the story to children
in a pair of books entitled Born With A Bang and From Lava to Life.  Of
course, these two award-winning books have wound up in college curricula,
but don't tell anyone they're for kids.  There's also an excellent volume
called Evolution by Carl Zimmer, which is the companion volume to an
American public television series on the life of Darwin.  And we cannot omit
Fritjof Capra from this too-short listing.  Check his book called The Web of
Life.

In earlier volume called The Dream of the Earth, Berry describes the three
underlying system dynamics of the universe.  See if you don't think they
apply across the board to every good organization (or open space event)
you've ever seen...

Differentiation - the ongoing emergence of differences and distinctions,
often through experimentation and play.
Autopoesis (subjectivity) - the unduplicated individuality of experience for
every being, (human, bird, bug, worm - anything) within the system (and the
universe).
Communion - the need of all beings (human, bird, bug, worm, etc.) for each
other.

Ralph Copleman