A question

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Fri Jul 9 10:39:19 PDT 2004

Now this is becoming very interesting, Artur and Reinhard!
Of course, it is possible to close the space or try it.
Usually, the facilitator then "deals" with those invasions
(preferrably by not intervening immediately since experience shows
that the forces of selforganisation in the group enable the group to
deal with the invasion by themselves).
However, the facilitator is not present in the breakout sessions
(usually, because he is just taking a nap).
So the individual groups are in a position to deal with those
questions on their own and you can bet on it that they will.
Sometimes, participants in a break out session will search out the
facilitator and ask him to come and help...well, this is one of those
wonderful moments when facilitators get an experience on why they are
being paid for doing nothing.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:12:53 -0700, Artur Silva wrote:

>Reinhard:
>
>Yours is a "marvelous" story :-((
>
>Thanks for it.
>
>I couldn't imagine that even the less experienced OST
>facilitator, if only he had "read the book" and had "a
>good mind and a good heart", would say something so
>silly.
>
>No, it is not true that in Open Space "everything is
>possible". Precisely it is not possible what happens
>to close the space. If what closes the space (like
>"formalized interviews") are possible then the space
>is no longer open...
>
>But you are saying that the lady is an experienced
>facilitator and I will not question that. I will think
>about it with a complete "appreciation"...
>
>Artur
>
>-----------
>

>--- Visuelle Protokolle <mail at visuelle-protokolle.de>
>wrote:
>> Dear Openspacers,
>>
>> Yesterday I took part in an OS and am not clear
>> about an observation I
>> made. So I want to ask you for your view.
>>
>> An experienced OS facilitator offered a session "How
>> can internal HR
>> people and external consultants win the management
>> for innovative
>> ideas?". At the beginning she explained, that she
>> wanted the group to
>> split and everybody to go into formalized
>> interviews, then summarize and
>> cluster the results in prepared forms, and come to
>> conclusions. Some
>> participants got angry and stopped the procedure,
>> because of their
>> understanding of OS as an open process also inside
>> of each group.
>>
>> Afterwards somebody told me: in OS everything is
>> possible, and the
>> participants can vote with their feet, if they
>> disagree. Now  I must
>> tell you that I am astonished and confused.
>>
>> So I want to ask you : is it in your sense if for
>> example somebody
>> offers trainings, lectures and other structured
>> processes in an OS,
>> under the headline "Everything is possible"?
>>
>> Mit freundlichen Gruessen
>> Best regards
>>
>> Reinhard
>>
>> VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
>> Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel
>>
>> Munich Germany
>>
>> Tel: +49-89-202 447 48
>>
>> www.visuelle-protokolle.de
>>
>> *
>> *

>> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
>
>*
>*
>
>To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
>http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464

Informationen zu open space und future search:
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

123 Berliner open space-Veranstaltungen von 12 BegleiterInnen in 16 verschiedenen Bereichen:
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.