Please help me think this through...

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 5 19:30:23 PDT 2004

Michael, Chris, Paul, Lilly and everyone else who has been helping me in
this thinking through--

Thank you to each of you.

You have taken me to some new, deep and fruitful territory. For that I
thank you, in a most heart-felt way.

It seems that the personal is important, if not the most important part.
Recently I read of a ceremony that happened when Lech Walesa was President
of Poland and the West German Chancellor came and made apology for what the
German peoples had done in WWII. It was sincere, received whole-heartedly,
and apparently effective. And perhaps Chris's story of federal government
apology would have a different ending if there had been some follow
through. So it seems there is validity to the notion that a country can
apologize to another country. There is a power there for good healing. But
I agree that the larger power seems to be individual to individual.

So what you have led me to is the idea that I need to explore my conscience
for what I have to apologize for. Perhaps for the thoughts of "I hope they
got him" when the first bombs hit the Saddam bunker in the first instant of
the war. Perhaps for not speaking up sooner and louder about the weakness
of the case being made in the UN and elsewhere for war.

And I like Michael's idea of an e-mail exchange. Perhaps that can happen
through Lilly's contacts. We can hope.

                              :-Doug.