What could be left out |

Malcolm Best malcolm.best at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 13 08:30:09 PDT 2004

I am intrigued by the question about what could be left out.

Lately I am coming to believe that our "salvation" and a path to sustainable
living in the world will come from the emergent properties, including
intelligence and collaborative learning, in certain kinds of groups.  My
avid interest is to discover what allows a group, at a particular time and
in a particular context, to self organize and exhibit intelligence much
higher than any member, while other groups turn into dumb mobs.  What are
the key activities and non-activities that I can engage in to facilitate
emergence of a higher order of creativity in a group?

Kevin Kelly ("Out of Control") listed 4 characteristics of what he called
"swarm systems":

The absence of imposed centralized control
The autonomous nature of subunits
The high connectivity between subunits
The webby nonlinear causality of peers influencing peers

This last one relates to 'Whatever happens is the only thing that could." -
permission to influence and be influenced because there's no way of avoiding
that anyway.

Howard Rheingold ("Smart Mobs") quotes Michael Suk-Young Chwe on public
rituals (like an Open Space opening):' "Public rituals are social practices
that generate common knowledge", which enables groups to solve coordination
problems'.

Instinctive (as in "selected for during evolution") drives that hold
individuals back or channel them into irrelevant noise, dumb groups down.
For example when I ask myself "when should I contribute?" (status,
reputation, credibility), "who is free riding?" (it's all a free ride), and
"should that be sanctioned?" (two feet) - these are settled with maximum
trust and minimum friction in the Open Space framework.

Thanks to everyone for marvelous writings in this list.
Malcolm  Best