"learning" OS and more; was use of OS in a training for trainers

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at pochtamt.ru
Tue Jul 6 00:08:35 PDT 2004

Hi Julie!
Thanks for your response! I didn't quite get what you meant here:

"what I really wanted to
say was that learning or remembering open space doesn't seem to me to be
directly related to what training a facilitator has or has not received, and
that focusing on the training aspect might not be the most helpful thing to
do.  I think that it is more closely linked to your experience and approach,
and to whether you as a facilitator can actually believe what you say to
participants - that they really can self manage and come up with something
great on their own."

There was an important thought or several thoughts in this paragraph; but I am not exactly sure what you meant.

You say you went to a Quaker school, but you don't say you are a Quaker. I came to Quakerism in Russia, but for a variety of reasons do not practice it (in the sense of going to Meeting for Worship). One of the things I have wondered about is why Quakers (maybe the Quakers on this list will reply!) don't use OS regularly in the life of the Meeting, as another tool for conducting Meeting for Worship for Business. While I think discerning the spirit of the group and using consensus is very powerful, conscious use of OS is also about Spirit. I sometimes find meeting for worship for business, well, boring frankly. Maybe that's a reflection of much innerwork that I need to do, to truly understand how passion reflects itself in this type of meeting.

Raffi Aftandelian