Silence

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Sun Jan 25 02:14:21 PST 2004

Hi

At the "happy at work" workshops, we always talk about the value of
breaks. Of having five minutes a day, where you're not working, talking,
mailing or anything. A non-time where you can become centered and
grounded and aware of yourself and your surroundings. At the last
workshop, a woman from Greenland told me about  the norwegian
anthropologist Thomas Hylland Eriksen who has written a book called "the
tyranny of the moment", in which he argues that we are loosing our
pauses. He says, that it is in the silent spaces between doing things
that we can take on new ideas and contemplate change.

A quote:
Thomas Eriksen argues that slow time - private periods where we are able
to think and correspond coherently without interruption - is now one of
the most precious resources we have, and it is becoming a major
political issue. Since we are now theoretically "online" 24 hours a day,
we must fight for the right to be unavailable - the right to live and
think more slowly. It is not only that working hours have become longer
- Eriksen also shows how the logic of this new information technology
has, in the space of just a few years, permeated every area of our
lives. This is equally true for those living in poorer parts of the
globe usually depicted as outside the reaches of the information age, as
well as those in the West.

You can read more about the book here:
http://styluspub.com/books/book5352.html

Cheers