Silence

Don Ferretti dferrett at placer.ca.gov
Fri Jan 23 11:18:30 PST 2004

How important is silence in my day? Very important. I have learned that
silence is as much as part of conversation as talking is, especially
since all the research shows that the words we speak out loud are
actually a very small part of what is communicated. I know that this is
a very important thing to remember in suicide intervention. In
facilitation, I love the void (space) that silence creates so instead of
feeling the need for an intervention to "break the silence" I have
learned to let the silence play itself out - usually the first words
spoken after a period if silence are heart felt. Also, silence does
allow time for people to think - me included.

http://placer.networkofcare.org

>>> 76066.515 at compuserve.com 01/23/04 06:50AM >>>
Hi--

What is the role of silence in OST and the Open Space life?

It seems to me silence is rich, full of panoramas of colors and sounds
and
tastes.

How important is silence in your day?

Have you seen it used by any of the groups for whom you've led an OS?

                              :-Doug. Germann

PS: This Tuesday a few of us are gathering for an open telephone
conversation on this subject.

Would you be so kind as to pass this invitation on to the people who
need
to see it?

Thanks!

                              :-Doug.

----Forwarded Message(s)----

Hi--

Can we make further and deeper use of silence in our work?

      Silence is a delicious thing for our meditation and
      contemplation; so how can we use silence, and let silence
      use us, in our work as teachers and nurturers of Spirit?

This is a telephone gathering where each of us can engage all of us,
learn how others are using silence, and together to invent new ways.

      If you wish, I will offer my learning from a recent
      retreat I led for a group of Quakers; also a story
      of an encounter that sheds some silence on light.

Please join us for this mutual exploration. e-mail me to reserve your
space
and get the number to call.

                              :-Doug. Germann
                              Doug at FootprintsintheWind.com

PS: There will be someone there with whom you need to speak.

                              :-Doug.

Where and When: Your telephone, this Tuesday, January 27, 2004, 7:00 pm
New
York time, 6:00 pm Chicago time, 4:00 pm Los Angeles time, which is
Wednesday, January 28, 2004, 12:01 am London time, 11:00 am Sydney
time.

Cost: You decide. Hint: a one-hour seminar, with one expert who
*might*
talk on what you need to know, can cost you $15-$30 US. Here you have
many
experts, and you ask what you need to know. Decide and pay after the
tele-gathering. Or please take 20 pounds of canned goods to your local
food
bank. Or do both.

To pay, simply e-mail the value you decide using Visa, Mastercard, etc.
via
PayPal using this link: http://www.FootprintsintheWind.com/tgpaypal.htm
,
or send me a check to Learning Works, Incorporated, P.O. Box 2796,
South
Bend, IN 46680-2796.

Questions? Please e-mail, or call me at 800/545-DOUG (3684).

Please pass this on to someone you know who uses silence well.

                              :-Doug.

----End Forwarded Message(s)----