Police

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 22:55:43 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/19/04 3:00:46 AM, eddie at palmer4421.freeserve.co.uk
writes:

<< The issue of uniforms need
to be discussed - all wearing uniform gives a certain, and often unfortunate
image, out of uniform can change the dynamic. >>

Eddie's comment about uniforms reminded me of a day years ago when I was
teaching creative problem solving to the top management team of a small city.  The
police chief came in, wearing slacks and a navy-blue blazer, took of his
blazer and folded it carefully--he was wearing a revolver in a shoulder holster.
This was normal work clothes for him, so the group did not think much about
it--I was taken aback for a few minutes.

Another time I was teaching creative problem solving in an international
group, and one of the participants was a police officer from Johannesburg,
preparing to teach creative problem solving to the police force in preparation for
the unknowns of the coming end of apartheid.  Very motivated to learn all he
could!

I'd second what others have said about police and military being
goal-oriented, and generally having good leadership and planning skills.  Just ready to go
to work, in Open Space as in their everyday work.

Joelle