Police

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jan 19 22:21:57 PST 2004

Harrison has mentioned a few times that goal oriented people work well
in Open Space, and it rather bears repeating in my mind, because it
seems like the cynics who typically try to find fault with the process
describe themselves this way too.

The only time I had police and military in Open Space was at a kind of
self-organizing Open Space youth job fair and the army guys offered a
little recruitment session which was well attended.  They loved it,
because they got to be in charge of their own time, and no one told them
how to spend it.  They could be very focused on their outcomes and there
was still room in the conference for folks to engage around other
issues.

I just think that it really can be said over and over that Open Space
Technology is NOT about eschewing goal-oriented conversation and work in
favour of "process," however loosely and pejoratively described.  It is
a glorious opportunity for BOTH/AND in this respect.  If you can bring
goal oriented action to the circle, so much the better for getting the
results of the meeting out of the room.  Passion and responsibility.
This is really the yin and yang of OST, and without both, the full
experience seems inhibited to me.

So, I think you'll do fine with the police.  It's really a question of
saying to them "you have stuff you need to do?  Fine, we have a process
that will get everything out of the way so you can get down to it."

Have fun,

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

(604) 947-9236

Harrison
> Owen
> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:29 AM
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> Subject: Re: Police
>
> Army, Navy, and Border Police (Immigration and Naturalization folks --
> INS) is all I can offer. Nobody died, and it all worked like usual.
> Everybody was in uniform, but then again these were internal
operations,
> and uniformed is they way they naturally come. They did dress down for
> the occasions -- fatigues as opposed to a full board of medals. In a
> funny way, I found them much easier to work with than a lot of
civilian
> organizations (business and NGO). They are typically very goal
oriented,
> and a given a clear sense of direction (focused theme) -- they were
off
> and running with incredible energy. And when I suggested that they
leave
> rank at the door, they knew exactly what I meant.
>
> In a word, no problem.
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen
> 7808 River Falls Drive
> Potomac, Maryland   20845
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> Personal website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm
> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives

Gerard