Unbearable lightness of open management

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Jan 15 12:47:28 PST 2004

hi chris m,

i find that there is ALWAYS something in the culture/story of any
organization that is totally consistent with how open space works.  at
one export trade council, it was the tradeshow and marketplace.  at one
church, it was the buzz that happened on the church steps after mass,
and the ritual of practice.  with software developers, it was wiki
website that they used to manage projects, or their
3x5-cards-on-the-table method of organizing modules being written.  in
very competitive analytical places it's the voting with the feet, the
speed of documentation, and numbers of issues and people able to be
processed and involved quickly.  one latino group recently got excited
about proceedings posted in gallery form and understood it immediately
as mural.  the story and link/bridge seems always there.  i try to
listen to the story, find the link, make it bridge, and then bring as
many pieces of ost across the bridge as i can.  what i can't get across,
i sometimes point to in the distance. any selling that might occur is
more of a noticing of the benefits of adding each piece of ost ritual to
what's already in place on their side of the bridge.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610 USA