Properties of circles

Ashley Cooper ashcooper at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 20:55:38 PST 2004

hello all...

i love this dialogue about circles...actually, i just love circles (and
spirals)! i'm with don, they are definitely my friend. i enjoy the way they
feel, the momentum that they carry, the openness that they invite, their
continuity, dependability, and fluidity. they both comfort and challenge
me. i am also a fan of the game spirograph. it's where you have different
shapes (but the most common is the circle) with grooves around the edges
and holes in the middle for your pen or pencil. you also have a larger
shape that is empty in the middle with grooves on the inside. you pick a
hole on the original shape and start moving around and around inside the
piece which holds the structure. i am always amazed that you can go around
and around and around and then eventually end up at the place that you
started...your journeys around and around leave such a beautiful, intricate
design. for me, the circle holds such power in and of itself. it is a
dependable structure inside which we're permitted to go around and around
and around until we're ready to stand back and look at the design.

of course, i often get restless or over-excited with the game and my piece
falls out of sync with the grooves and i end up with decorated
garbage...but that's a whole different thread!

well, i meant to just post this quote by Osho (i guess i got distracted!).
there's some reference to context, but i think you can see where it relates
to the topic at hand.

"Your inner being, when it opens, first experiences two directions: the
height, the depth. And then slowly, slowly, as this becomes your
established situation, you start looking around, spreading into all other
eight directions. And once you have attained to the point where your height
and your depth meet, then you can look around to the very circumference of
the universe. Then your consciousness starts unfolding in all ten
directions, but the road has been one."

it makes me think of looking around the circle, everyone in front of you
and yet the road is just one. it also brings the sphere that someone
mentioned (sorry i don't know who) to mind. so is this what open space is
trying to do... unfold people's consciousness, offer an opportunity to
look around the circumference of the universe?

ashley

if you're easily amazed, do come and play!
www.ashleycoop.blogspot.com