Properties of circles

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Sun Jan 11 17:03:05 PST 2004

Great Discussion!  Thank you all for the ideas, thoughts, and questions – it
has my mind wandering in healthy places!

In my research, the circle, or council, is an ancient form of meeting that
has gathered human beings into respectful conversation for thousands of
years – since fire was invented!  I’ve always used circles as a form in my
work – from restorative justice circles in Hawaii, dialogue circles in
Newfoundland, to Open Space circles in Alaska, Siberia, Canada, and wherever
I can!

Often, the circle offers the process (the way of being together in
conversation) and the intention of the group offers the content.  There have
been discussions around a circle among business colleagues and a circle
among family members that may have similar rituals of opening and closing,
but very different content, while some circles may share similar content
with very different rituals. Whatever the setting, what makes a meeting into
a circle is the willingness of people to shift from informal socializing or
opinionated discussion into a receptive attitude of thoughtful speaking and
deep listening.  Some forms use forms in the middle of the circle to signify
intention.

Thanks – Don – for referring to the circle as your friend in the process –
pretty well articulates it for me!

cheers
Judi

Judith Richardson, M.A.